Monday, August 1, 2011

What to Wear to a Wedding!

How often have you asked yourself this question...What should I wear to the wedding?  Well, probably every time you go to a wedding, right?  I just had to ask myself this question not too long ago because we attended a family wedding this past weekend.

First of all, I had to think of my children and what they should wear.  Priorities!!  My son was easy.  As for my daughter, she changed her mind a few times, but she finally decided on a dress and shoes and some of my jewelry, of course.  Now it was my turn.  What should I wear?

I had bought a dress awhile back at a local boutique called Vintage Charm.  I love the store and loved the dress and had to have it.  Then as time went on and the wedding drew nearer, I had buyer's remorse.  Oh, I still loved the dress but was it appropriate for the wedding?  Would it be too dressy for this particular wedding?  No, I didn't buy a formal gown or anything.  Anyway, I didn't find anything else that I liked and didn't want to wear black...again...as I always do.   

Since it was a family wedding, and I was doing a reading during the service, I decided to wear the dress.  Then when I showed up at the church, I saw a lot of wedding guests wearing casual attire...very casual attire...like shorts and jeans.  It was quite interesting.  And yes, I was still happy with my dress and glad that I wore it.     

But after seeing all the casually dressed wedding quests, I had to ask....
What do you wear to a wedding?  What is appropriate to wear to a wedding?

Answer...It depends on the wedding!!  Read the invitation thoroughly to see if it states so.  Does it say black tie, black tie optional, creative cocktail attire, casual attire, etc.  Where is the wedding being held?  On the beach, on a boat, in a church, in a restaurant, in a backyard, etc.  Do I sound like Dr. Seuss?  Having the wedding service and/or reception at a country club vs. a barn makes a huge difference.  Make sure you have all of the facts first before you make your decision.  And if you are still unsure, contact the bride.  If you don't know the bride, have the groom ask the bride for you.  She will definitely tell you exactly what you should wear and what you shouldn't wear!! 

And don't forget, as I told my daughter...never wear white to a wedding!!!!

Enjoy your day!!!

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment